Monday, October 18, 2010

Freezing Peppers and Other Fun Stuff

My cats have woke me up at 4 am. Not my best time of day. My schedule lately has been very hectic. I'm now working in St. Louis 4 days a week and while I'm there I just stay with my older son Sean to save gas and wear and tear on my car. Today is the day I drive down there and I'm going to be very tired. It's five now and there is no going back to sleep.

Last weekend the small farmers market here was selling homegrown green peppers by the peck (yes, I know all about Peter Piper). They were small and misshapen but $1.99 for a peck of peppers is an awesome price. Of course that meant I spent some time chopping up and freezing peppers.

Peppers need very little preparation to freeze. All you need to do is chop them up, spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze. After they're frozen you just package them up.

I got a lot of banana peppers from my little patio garden but for some reason my green peppers never got any bigger than a quarter. I used up all the banana peppers as i picked them so I didn't have any to freeze.

I got mixed results from my other plants, too. The cherry tomato plant produced tons of delicious little tomatoes. I ate most of them right off the plant. We had fresh herbs all summer, my son Ryan has been making homemade spaghetti sauce with them. I only got a couple cucumbers and no zucchini this year. The zucchini plant produced lots of little tiny finger sized fruits but they rotted on the plant. I have no idea what was going on. Were about due for our first freeze so I've already started cleaning out the garden and getting ready or winter. These last couple years I've learned a lot with my little garden and maybe next year willbe even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment